7.16
Today, a chapter of my life ended in a way I never imagined.
The police arrested my mother after she became intoxicated, turned violent, and physically assaulted me in my own home. Writing those words doesn’t even feel real.
What’s strange is that I don’t feel angry.
I feel numb.
It feels like I watched someone die, even though they’re still alive.
The hardest part isn’t what happened today. The hardest part is what today forced me to finally accept.
As a little girl, I spent years searching for a mother. My childhood was filled with instability—moving from home to home, changing schools, living with relatives and even strangers. There were moments I remember standing at a pay phone, begging my father to come get me because I didn’t feel safe or cared for.
Even after all of that, a part of me never stopped hoping.
When my mother had nowhere else to go, I opened my home to her. Not because I forgot my childhood, but because I couldn’t bear the thought of her ending up homeless or dying alone somewhere. I wanted to believe that maybe this season of our lives could be different.
I asked for one thing.
Protect the peace of my home.
My children deserve a home where yelling, intimidation, and violence are not normal. They deserve to grow up with the stability I spent my childhood longing for.
For a while, everything seemed okay.
Then alcohol entered the picture, old wounds resurfaced, and history repeated itself.
Only this time, I wasn’t the little girl anymore.
I was the mother.
I was the one responsible for protecting my children.
Calling the police wasn’t an act of revenge.
It was an act of ending a cycle.
As painful as today has been, I also discovered something about grief that I never fully understood before.
Sometimes we’re not grieving the person standing in front of us.
We’re grieving the parent we spent our entire lives hoping they would become.
That’s the loss I’m feeling tonight.
Not because I expected perfection.
But because some small part of my heart never stopped believing that one day I might finally have a mother.
If you’ve ever mourned someone who is still alive…
If you’ve ever loved someone while also needing to walk away…
If you’ve ever had to choose peace over guilt…
Please know you’re not alone.
This isn’t a story about victimhood.
It’s a story about boundaries.
It’s a story about breaking generational cycles.
It’s a story about choosing the emotional safety of my children over the guilt of trying to save someone who wasn’t ready to save themselves.
I don’t share this so people will feel sorry for me.
I share it because I know someone reading this may be carrying the same invisible grief—loving someone deeply while finally accepting that love alone cannot heal them.
Sometimes the bravest thing we can do isn’t holding on.
Sometimes it’s letting go with tears in our eyes, while praying they someday find the healing we could never give them.


Comments
Post a Comment