Forever without Her

Half my life

I searched every shadow

for a woman I hoped existed,

while trying to forget

the one who stood before me.


I carried hope

like it was my inheritance,

believing love could reach places

that years of pain never could.


Tonight,

hope met its ending.


Not with silence…


But with raised voices,

shaking hands,

and the sound of a door

closing on a lifetime of waiting.


I thought it was my job

to rescue you.


To keep you from sleeping

on a stranger’s couch.


To keep you from becoming

another tragedy

someone would tell me about.


But I am not the keeper

of another person’s choices.


I cannot love someone

into becoming the mother

I spent my childhood searching for.


When your anger found me,

I saw more than tonight.


I saw the little girl

who begged to be seen.


The teenager

who kept believing.


The woman

who opened her home

one last time.


And for the first time…


I chose them all.


I chose the frightened child.


I chose the woman I became.


I chose my children.


I chose peace.


There was only one path

this night could ever take.


Not because I stopped loving you.


But because I finally started

loving us enough.


I thought losing you

would leave an emptiness

I could never survive.


Instead…


I found something unexpected.


Space.


Breath.


Silence that no longer sounded like fear.


There will always be memories.


Some beautiful.


Many broken.


And I won’t pretend

they disappear overnight.


But I no longer mistake

hope for responsibility.


I no longer confuse

guilt with love.


I no longer believe

it is my duty

to carry a weight

that was never mine.


Tonight,

I closed a chapter

I had been rewriting

my entire life.


I don’t know

what tomorrow feels like.


But for the first time…


I believe tomorrow belongs to me.

Comments

Popular Posts