The Mother I Kept Looking For

Today, I buried no body.


Yet something inside me

was laid gently into the earth.


No flowers.

No eulogy.

No mourners dressed in black.


Only silence…


…and the little girl

who finally stopped waiting.


She searched for you

through borrowed homes,

borrowed beds,

borrowed families,

through classrooms that changed

as often as the seasons.


She searched for you

between unanswered prayers

and the cold metal of a pay phone,

where trembling hands

begged someone—

anyone—

to come take her home.


Years became decades.


The child became a woman.


The woman became a mother.


And still,

she left a light on,

hoping one day

you might find your way

to the place

she had built from the ruins

of her own childhood.


She opened the door

with hope in her hands.


Not because she had forgotten.


But because love

is foolish enough

to believe

that broken things

sometimes choose

to heal.


Instead…


old storms

learned my new address.


The walls that had echoed

with children’s laughter

were asked to remember

what fear sounded like.


History knocked.


This time,

I answered.


Not as the frightened daughter.


But as the woman

who refused

to let yesterday

become her children’s tomorrow.


Some endings

do not arrive

with death.


Some arrive

when hope finally whispers,


“I’ve carried this long enough.”


Tonight,

I do not mourn

the woman the world sees.


I mourn

the mother

I spent a lifetime

imagining.


The one who never came.


And somehow…


that is the heavier grief.


If these words

find the quiet corners

of your own heart,


perhaps you, too,

have loved someone

whose absence

was felt most deeply

while they were still standing beside you.


May we both learn

that peace

is not abandoning love.


Peace

is refusing

to abandon ourselves.


So tonight,

I close the door

without hatred.


Without triumph.


Without revenge.


Only with tears

that no longer ask,


“Why wasn’t I enough?”


Because at last,

the little girl within me

has learned

she was never

the one who needed

to become someone else.


She was always worthy

of the mother

she kept searching for.


And now…


she will spend

the rest of her life


becoming that person

for someone else.

Comments

Popular Posts