The Woman Who Came Back

I found you


not in photographs,


not in stories,


not in memories

that blurred

with the passing years—


but in a house


that belonged

to another timeline.


The walls knew my name


before I spoke it.


Faces looked familiar,


voices echoed

like songs

I had once forgotten.


No one asked


why I was there.


To them,


I was simply


someone

who belonged.


Then—


there you were.


Small enough


to fit

within my forearms.


A universe


wrapped

in soft skin,


sleeping beside

another child


on a worn couch


that had learned


to hold babies


better than arms.


You stirred.


Tiny hands,


searching


for someone


before you even knew

what searching meant.


I asked,


“What is her name?”


Silence held me


for only a heartbeat.


Then—


“I heard MY name.”


The world


stopped breathing.


I wasn’t looking


at a baby.


I was looking


at the beginning


of every wound


I have ever carried.


I lifted you gently,


afraid


that if I held you

too tightly,


I might somehow

crush the innocence


that had not yet met

the world.


You rested against me


as though


you had been waiting


for these arms


your whole life.


Then you rooted,


looking for milk.


I asked

if I could feed you.


They handed me

a bottle.


So naturally.


So casually.


As though


love


required

no thought at all.


Then they said,


“If you have to leave,


just lay her back

on the couch


and prop the bottle.”


I looked at them.


“Is that how

she’s usually fed?”


A shrug.


“I have other things

I have to do.”


No anger


rose inside me.


Only grief.


Because suddenly


I understood


how a heart


can begin aching


long before


it knows


the word


loneliness.


I fed you slowly.


Not because


you needed

more milk—


but because


I wanted time


to move


more gently


than it once had.


I memorized


your eyelashes.


The softness

of your cheeks.


The tiny fingers


that had no idea


how tightly


they would someday


cling


to hope.


When the bottle

was empty,


I knew


I couldn’t stay.


Dreams,


like childhood,


never ask


whether we’re ready


to leave them.


I kissed


your forehead.


Closed my eyes.


And whispered


the words


someone should have

whispered to you


from the very beginning.


You are loved.


You always were.


None of this


will ever be


your fault.


There will be days


when people

mistake your kindness


for permission


to wound you.


There will be nights


when silence


feels louder


than every scream.


You will spend years


searching


for homes


inside people


who never learned


how to build one.


You will question


your worth


because others


couldn’t see it.


You will grieve


the mother


you kept hoping


would arrive.


You will lose pieces


of yourself


trying to become


enough


for those


who never believed


they were enough


themselves.


But listen carefully,


little one.


One day,


a woman


with your eyes


will walk


through impossible doors


just to find you.


She will pick you up


without being asked.


She will notice


what others overlooked.


She will feed you


with patience.


Hold you


without condition.


Speak gently


where life


once spoke harshly.


She will become


everything


you spent


a lifetime


looking for.


She will be


you.


Older.


Scarred.


Still standing.


And because


she found her way


back to you—


you will never


truly be abandoned


again.


I laid you down


one last time.


Not because


I wanted to.


Because healing


isn’t staying


inside yesterday.


It’s carrying


its smallest child


into tomorrow.


I walked


out of that house


with tears


I had earned.


Not tears


of defeat—


but of recognition.


Because somewhere


between that couch


and my car,


I realized


the child


I had spent


my entire life


searching for


had never


needed rescuing


by the world.


She only needed


one person


to finally


come back.


And she did.

Comments

Popular Posts