This is The Last Time

This morning,


they knocked.


Not softly.


Not kindly.


The kind of knocking

that makes your heartbeat

forget

how to be a heartbeat.


The police

stood at my door,


and beside them…


stood the woman


who gave me life—


looking more like

a stranger


than my own reflection.


Days ago,


you told me

you loved me.


One sunrise later,


you looked at me


like love

had never learned

my name.


How…


does a heart

change seasons

overnight?


Who was I looking at?


My mother?


Or the ghost


of every childhood

I kept trying

to rewrite?


I searched your face


for something familiar.


A softness.


A crack in the anger.


A glimpse of the woman

I spent forty-two years

believing

was somewhere

beneath the storms.


But all I found


was someone


I no longer recognized.


And somehow…


that hurt more

than everything

that came before.



You asked

for your charger.


Just two words.


Nothing more.


Do you know…


those two words

could have sent you

back in handcuffs?


The law

stood beside me.


Justice

waited patiently

for my decision.


I had every reason.


Every right.


Every wound.


Instead…


I looked for your charger.


Because somehow,


even after all this,


my hands

still reached

to help you.


My husband

gave it back.


Not me.


The no-contact order

stood between us,


doing what

our hearts

never could—


keeping us apart.



Then I walked

toward my car.


I looked

to the staircase.


To the sidewalk.


To every corner.


Searching.


Not because

I wanted you back.


But because

some broken part of me

needed to know


where mothers go


when they have

nowhere left

to be.


Did someone

pick you up?


Are you walking?


Are you hungry?


Are you alone?


Are you scared?


The questions

came so naturally


that I forgot,


for just a moment,


that I was supposed

to be the daughter.


Not the parent.


I spent my life


trying to become

the safe place


you never gave me.


I wanted

to build you

a home.


To offer stability


to the very person


who taught me

what instability

felt like.


I tried


to save you


from the ending


you kept choosing.


And now…


here you are.


Walking away.


Not because

I stopped loving you—


but because

love


cannot rescue

someone


who refuses

to stop drowning.



The tears

never came.


Not because

they weren’t there.


But because

grief


sometimes freezes

before it falls.


My heart


forgot


how to break.


It simply…


went quiet.


Numbness


isn’t the absence

of love.


It’s what happens


when sorrow

becomes too heavy


for tears

to carry.



As I drove away,


one song


kept singing

what my own voice

couldn’t.


Forever without you.


Not because

you died.


But because


the mother

I spent my entire life

waiting for…


never truly arrived.


And somehow,


that goodbye


hurts


just as deeply.



Today,


I watched

my mother leave.


Not with hatred.


Not with revenge.


Not even with anger.


I watched her leave


with the unbearable weight


of loving someone


I could no longer

follow


into the darkness.


And if anyone

asks me


what heartbreak

looks like—


I will not tell them


about screaming.


Or shattered glass.


Or flashing lights.


I will tell them


about the daughter


who stood silently,


watching a stranger

walk away,


still wondering…


if she made it home.

Comments

Popular Posts