Until December

I smile so you won’t see it,

but silence tells the truth.

The safest place I found

already comes with an ending.


I should have known

borrowed moments

still belong to time.


You held me

while the world I knew

collapsed behind me.


For one night,

I remembered

what it felt like

to breathe.


Now every goodbye

arrives before it’s spoken.


You tell me

December isn’t here yet,


but my heart

is already mourning it.


⸻


You speak of another lifetime,

where there are no promises

that belong to someone else.


Where we wake beside each other,

not hidden,

not borrowed,

not counting hours.


I laugh,

because if I don’t,

I’ll cry.


And still…


part of me hopes

that somewhere

the universe keeps

that promise for us.


⸻


So I pull away,

not because I love you less,


but because

every message,

every song,

every meme,

reminds me


that I’m learning

how to grieve someone

who hasn’t even left yet.


⸻


My heart is breaking

before goodbye.


I am loving

through an ending

that hasn’t happened.


I keep wishing

time would stop

at that hotel room—


where your arms

felt safer

than my own thoughts.


⸻


If December comes,


I’ll let you go

the way I promised I would.


Without anger.


Without making you choose.


Only with tears

you’ll never have to carry.


And if there truly are

a thousand lifetimes,


find me sooner next time.


Because I don’t think

my heart

could survive

losing you twice.

Comments

Popular Posts